I’ve had this really nasty throat bug for the last several days, which is really putting a damper on my training. I’ve been experimenting with trying to be actively well instead of crashing in front of the tv, which is what I usually do when I’m sick. It seems to be helping. Here’s what I’m doing:
- Drink lots of water and herbal teas with lemon and honey. Usually I drink tea without honey because the sugar is not ideal for training, but honey is the best thing I know for a sore throat.
- Sit up straight and breathe as deeply as possible for a few moments. I feel like usually when I’m sick I end up slouching on the couch for most of the day, and I’m trying to make sure that I get enough clean air into my lungs to help me recover. I’ve been trying to do this a few times every day. If you really like this, try meditating.
- Oranges. I used to buy orange juice, but eating the orange is healthier. Citrus generally is helpful when you are sick.
- Chicken Noodle Soup. When I’m sick I don’t feel like cooking, but luckily I recently discovered a spicy, Asian-inspired version of chicken soup available for takeout. I ordered that twice. My point being take-out is good for not having to cook and chicken soup is a classic for healing colds and other ailments.
- Gargle warm salt water a few times a day.
- Light stretching. Do not confuse this with flexibility training- Mostly I mean things like arm, wrist and hip circles a few times a day to keep your blood circulating.
- Rest. No work, no strength training, no flexibility training. No pole. No running errands. No running. I try to continue to rest even as I’ve started to feel better, so I can make sure that I’m really healed and I don’t make myself sick again.
- Sleep. Take lots of naps in addition to lounging around all day. You have to shut off the tv and the computer to make this happen.
- Stop talking. It agitates your throat. It probably also agitates the ears of your listeners. Rest your throat.
- Stay home. Don’t share with your friends.
If you want more, another awesome blogger happens to be sick right now too. For her ideas about making yourself get better, click here.